JellyPages.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Calendar Fun...

When you go into many classrooms, especially early childhood classrooms, you will find a time set aside to study the calendar. This time is spent in many various ways throughout the country. I spend my time working with the calendar in various ways. I like to call my time "Morning/Afternoon Meeting." We spend the time figuring out what today, tomorrow, and yesterday is on the calendar and we identify the numbers. We also play mystery number, where I take a number off the calendar and the children have to figure out what the missing number. In the later part of the year we mix the calendar up and the children have to put it back together. This allows us to work on ordering numbers. Some teachers like to add a day each day to the calendar; however, I feel different about this. My view on this practice is: you never see a partial calendar, when you look at the calendar you always see the entire month. I want this practice to be in my room because it helps us plan and helps the children develop a sense of time. At the conclusion of this short time we sing the Days of the Week and the Months of the Year. Check out our You Tube channel and watch the children singing "Days of the Week," I am sure you will recognize the tune...I am apologizing in advance if it gets stuck in your head!

No comments:

Post a Comment